Features & Benefits
As lenders to rural America and production agriculture, we understand the challenges individuals face when starting their own farm or taking on ownership of a multi-generational farm and as such, we work to provide the educational and financial resources needed to help establish a solid foundation for new and young farmers.
Helping new farmers, and small-scale farmers obtain and maintain the resources they need is a top priority of the Farm Credit System and GreenStone. Through our relaxed underwriting standards and understanding of specialized Farm Service Agency (FSA) programs, we can often provide financing in unique and individualized situations. Our expertise in agricultural financing allows us to better understand your business cycles and the details in your business as we provide loans for young farmers.
- A young farmer is one who is 35 years of age or younger
- A beginning farmer is one who has 10 or fewer years of experience
- A small farmer is one who generates less than $250,000 in annual gross sales from production
- located in Michigan and northeast Wisconsin
YBSF Customer Characteristics:
- Farm background or experience
- Potential in management ability
- A plan for long-term personal and financial goals
- Knowledge of the enterprise to be financed as well as the inherent risks involved
- Ability to maintain an adequate farm record system
- Relaxed underwriting requirements and loan terms
- Collaboration with FSA guaranteed loan programs
- Flexible repayment options
- Zero down payment options
- Eligible for patronage
Support Beyond Financing
Our commitment to the next generation of farmers extends beyond providing financial products and services to educational opportunities and involvement in youth organizations.
- Awarding up to $40,000 in scholarships annually to incoming college students planning to major in an agricultural field of study.
- Providing financial contributions and volunteer efforts in support of communities, and organizations; such as young farmer programs, FFA and 4-H.